Friday, December 3, 2010

81. Easy Lasagna


From 2006 Southern Living Annual Recipes

My friend Jenny cut and colored my hair (red!) last night, so I had made this the night before for us to have for dinner.

I loved the idea of flavoring the ricotta with pesto...and it gave this dish a really distinct and different taste.

I always make my lasagna with ground beef...but I'm using hot Italian sausage from here on out. Delish!

I also cut the amount of cheese in half. I didn't put any within the layers, just two cups on top along with some Parmesan cheese. And, I used spaghetti sauce with mushrooms.

We both agreed this was a keeper!

1 pound mild Italian sausage

1 (15-oz.) container part-skim ricotta cheese
1/4 cup refrigerated ready-made pesto
1 large egg, lightly beaten
2 (26-oz.) jars pasta sauce
9 no-boil lasagna noodles

4 cups (16 oz.) shredded Italian three-cheese blend or mozzarella cheese

Remove and discard casings from sausage. Cook sausage in a large skillet over medium heat, stirring until meat crumbles and is no longer pink; drain.

Stir together ricotta cheese, pesto, and egg.

Spread half of 1 jar pasta sauce evenly in a lightly greased 13- x 9-inch baking dish. Layer with 3 lasagna noodles (noodles should not touch each other or sides of dish), half of ricotta mixture, half of sausage, 1 cup three-cheese blend, and remaining half of 1 jar pasta sauce. Repeat layers using 3 lasagna noodles, remaining ricotta mixture, remaining sausage, 1 cup three-cheese blend. Top with remaining 3 noodles and second jar of pasta sauce, covering noodles completely. Sprinkle evenly with remaining 2 cups three-cheese blend.

Bake, covered, at 350° for 40 minutes. Uncover and bake 15 more minutes or until cheese is melted and edges are lightly browned and bubbly. Let stand 15 minutes.

3 comments:

Jenny G said...

It was fantastic!!!!

Julie said...

Sounds just wonderful to me :)

Jander said...

I will be making this one very soon! P.S. This has to be a Blackberry pic...tsk, tsk.