Sunday, March 14, 2010

20. Cinnamon Loaves


From 1999 Southern Living Annual Recipes

"If I had known you were coming, I would have baked a cake." Not at this house.

Don't get me wrong...I'm very hospitable. I'll make appetizers, salads, entrees, and sides. But, dessert will always either be contributed or bought from a bakery.

I don't eat dessert, and so I'm therefore less inclined to make dessert. I don't bake, and I own it. You get the picture.

However, my grandmother used to be quite the baker. And, she's tried in vain for years to instill that passion in me...to no avail. But, it's her birthday week, and I decided to surprise her at dinner at my parents' house tonight with...a cake.

The recipe made two loaves, so I was able to crack into one and give it a test drive before presenting the other one to her.

This tasted like Christmas morning to me. The top had a nice crust, while the inside was incredibly moist. Surprisingly, it wasn't too sweet, which I loved. It would work equally well for dessert or breakfast/brunch. The cinnamon swirl inside made for a beautiful presentation.

Um, yeah, I'm pretty darn proud of myself.



1 (18.25-ounce) package yellow cake mix with pudding
4 large eggs
3/4 cup vegetable oil
3/4 cup water
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/2 cup sugar
3 tbsp. ground cinnamon

Beat first 5 ingredients at high speed with an electric mixer for 3 minutes.

Pour half of batter evenly into 2 greased and floured 8x4 inch disposable loafpans.

Stir together cinnamon and sugar; sprinkle half of mixture evenly over batter in loafpans.

Pour remaining batter evenly into loafpans, and sprinkle evenly with remaining sugar mixture. Gently swirl with a knife.

Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans on wire racks.

No comments: