Monday, March 29, 2010

24. Pizza Spaghetti Casserole


From 2007 Southern Living Annual Recipes

Pizza? Good.

Spaghetti? Good.

Together? YUM!

This tasted exactly as I expected...like a sausage and pepperoni pizza, with pasta instead of crust. I don't have children, but I would imagine that kids would love this dish, too. It was the ultimate comfort food...and a great twist on baked spaghetti.

12 ounces uncooked spaghetti
1/2 tsp. salt
1 (1-pound) package mild ground pork sausage
2 ounces turkey pepperoni slices (about 30), cut in half
1 (26-ounce) jar tomato and basil pasta sauce
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 (8-ounce) package shredded Italian three-cheese blend

Cook spaghetti with salt according to package directions. Drain well and place in a lightly greased 9x13 baking dish.

Brown and drain sausage. Set aside. Wipe skillet and add pepperoni, cooking over medium-high heat for 4 minutes until slightly crisp.

Top spaghetti in baking dish with sausage. Pour pasta sauce over. Arrange half of pepperoni over sauce. Sprinkle evenly with cheeses. Arrange remaining pepperoni over cheese. Cover with lightly greased aluminum foil.

Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Remove foil and bake 10 more minutes until cheese is melted and starting to brown.

2 comments:

collin said...

Wow.....by reading the recipe only I can make it out how tasty it will be. I am eager to taste it. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

Take the Pizza Personality Test and find out which kind of Pizza best reflects your personality. I have taken the test and I am Cheesy Pizza. Find out yours. Have Fun!!

Char said...

I do a version of this but have the following changes: I add mushrooms (because I love them), I use penne, bowties or wagonwheels to make it easier to eat, and I add some cottage cheese to give it that slight lasagne twist. It's so yummy.