Friday, February 5, 2010

10. Broccoli Cornbread Muffins


From 2003 Southern Living Annual Recipes

I generally don't like traditional cornbread...but Jiffy is another story! I love the sweetness....throw in broccoli and cheese, and it's even better. I could have made a meal out of these alone, but they're a great accompaniment to soup or as a brunch addition.

My sister has always made this cornbread in a pan, but I'm a big fan of "pick-up food," so I've had this muffin variation tagged for awhile.

The recipe calls for them to be made in miniature muffin pans, but I made standard-size muffins instead and increased the cooking time about five minutes.

YUM!

1 (8.5-ounce) package corn muffin mix
1 (10-ounce) package frozen chopped broccoli, thawed
1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
1 small onion, chopped (I omitted)
2 large eggs
1/2 cup butter, melted

Combine first four ingredients in a large bowl; make a well in the center of mixture.

Stir together eggs and butter, blending well. Add to broccoli mixture, stirring just until dry ingredients are moistened. Spoon into lightly greased miniature muffin pans, filling three-fourths full.

Bake at 325 degrees for 15 to 20 minutes or until golden. Let stand 2 to 3 minutes before removing from pans.

Makes 2 dozen mini muffins or 1 dozen regular muffins.

1 comment:

Margot said...

Now THIS looks like a good one. Who would have thought to add brocolli and cheese to those great muffin mixes? Here's another one I have to try.