Wednesday, February 3, 2010

9. Baked Curry-Glazed Chicken


From 2006 Southern Living Annual Recipes

A friend of mine mentioned that his mother had a recipe published in Southern Living, and when I tracked down the year, it fell within one of the cookbooks in my collection.

Honestly, without a personal recommendation, I might have skipped past this recipe because of the curry. I'm sure I've had dishes with this ingredient before, but I've never cooked with it. I've just always been a little wary of it, but as soon I stirred together the sauce, I was sold. It smelled amazing, as did my house while it was cooking. And, it completely delivered on flavor! My chicken got a little too brown on top, but the meat was so tender and juicy.

One future adjustment: The sauce that ran over the chicken cooked out in the pan, so the next time I make this, I think I'll split the sauce...half for coating the raw chicken and half for heating and brushing/spooning over the cooked chicken, just to have more sauce for the finished product.

(Note: After reading this post, my friend commented that his mother always made it in a 9x13 glass dish, instead of a jelly-roll pan, which I think would have eliminated the over-browning of the chicken and the sauce cooking off.)

Okay...I'm a curry convert!

1/2 cup honey
1/4 cup butter, melted
1/4 cup yellow mustard
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. curry powder
1 whole chicken, cut up*

Stir together first five ingredients in a shallow dish. Dip chicken in mixture, one piece at a time, thoroughly coating all sides. Arrange chicken, skin side up, in a single layer in a 15x10 inch jelly-roll pan. Pour remaining mixture over chicken.

Bake at 375 degrees for 1 hour to 1 hour and 10 minutes or until done.

* Four skinned and boned chicken breasts and four skinned and boned chicken thighs can be substituted for cut-up whole chicken. Proceed as directed, decreasing baking time to 40-45 minutes.

No comments: