Thursday, February 25, 2010

15. Spicy Shrimp Spoon Bread


From 2008 Southern Living Annual Recipes

A casserole is the ultimate comfort dish for me, so I'm always on the lookout for new and unique variations. And, I've never been one to shy away from food with a "kick," so I've had this recipe on my "to cook" list for awhile.

The combination of ingredients works great...it's creamy, cheesy, and a little spicy, and the corn and shrimp give it texture and great flavor. I could have used a bit more heat, so I think I'll use jalapenos in place of the chiles next time.

1 pound unpeeled, medium-size raw shrimp
1/4 cup butter
1 small sweet onion, diced
1 small can chopped green chiles, undrained
1 (20-ounce) package frozen cream-style corn, thawed
1 (16-ounce) container sour cream
2 large eggs
1 (6-ounce) package buttermilk cornbread mix
2 cups shredded pepper-jack cheese

Peel shrimp and coarsely chop.

Melt butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and saute 2-3 minutes. Stir in shrimp and saute 2-3 minutes or just until shrimp turn pink. Remove from heat and stir in green chiles.

Whisk together corn, sour cream, and eggs in a large bowl. Whisk in cornbread mix just until blended. Stir in shrimp mixture and 1 1/2 cups of cheese.

Pour into a lightly greased 9x13 dish and sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake at 375 degrees for 45 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.

1 comment:

Margot said...

I make a dish similar to this one at Thanksgiving called corn casserole. It's very delicious but I never thought of making it with shrimp. Now I have to try this one of yours.