Sunday, June 20, 2010

48. Corn, Avocado, and Black Bean Salsa

   

From 2007 Southern Living Annual Recipes

If my dad ever decided to change careers, he'd make a great sous chef, as he loves to prep/chop food. When I arrived with the ingredients for this recipe for our family cookout today, he had started dicing the jalapeno before I had even unloaded my bags. Working alongside my father in the kitchen as we prepared this dish was the best way to spend Father's Day.

And, this salsa was gobbled up. The simplicity let each ingredient really shine. The avocados gave it a creamy texture, while the lime juice delivered a fresh, bright flavor and the spices brought a little kick. And, the fact that it was low-fat made my sister a big fan.

2 medium-size ripe avocados, cubed
1 (15.5-oz.) can black beans, rinsed and drained

1 (15 1/4-oz.) can whole kernel corn, rinsed and drained
1 fresh jalapeño pepper, seeded and diced
1/3 cup chopped red onion
3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper

Gently stir together all ingredients in a large bowl. This can be made up to four hours in advance of serving.

No comments: