Sunday, June 20, 2010

47. Brownie-Mint Pie


From 1997 Southern Living Annual Recipes

I've always had an affinity for the chocolate-mint combination, from Thin Mint cookies to York Peppermint Patties to Baskin-Robbins mint-chocolate-chip ice cream.

But, I have a particular fondness for Andes mints. I associate them with great memories of having dinner (fried crab claws) with my grandparents at a restaurant in Eufaula where they sold them by the cash register.

So, I was curious about this pie. It was good, with a "hint of mint" taste to the brownie. What I didn't really love was the crust...taste-wise, it brought nothing to the table. I think it would have been better just to make these as a pan of brownies, rather than as a pie.

1 (4.6-ounce) package chocolate mints
1 (15.8-ounce) package brownie mix
1 unbaked (9-inch) deep-dish frozen pastry shell

Chop chocolate mints; set aside 3 tablespoons. Prepare brownie mix according to package directions, stirring remaining chopped mints into brownie batter. Pour into pastry shell.

Bake at 350° for 45 minutes or until done; cool slightly. Serve with ice cream, hot fudge topping, and 3 tablespoons chopped mints.

No comments: