Sunday, May 30, 2010

39. Lemonade Cupcakes


From 2004 Southern Living Annual Recipes

For my parents' Memorial Day cookout tomorrow, I decided to make something I knew my three young nieces would enjoy..."pupcakes."

We're the kind of family that has 5 different appetizers and no desserts at our get-togethers, so this was a step-out, but I knew the girls would be excited.

I had read some reviews on SL's site that the cream cheese frosting the recipe calls for was a little bit too much, so I opted for whipped vanilla frosting instead...and it was perfect.

The lemonade was just enough to give these cupcakes a little something, a tartness that wasn't overpowering but gave them a special flavor.

As I was spooning the batter into the liners, I noticed that it was very thick, and I worried that the cupcakes would be dense...but they were light and moist.


Update (5/31): The girls found these a little too "tangy," but they were a hit with the adults. I think these would make a great addition to a baby shower.

1 (6-ounce) can frozen lemonade concentrate, thawed
1 (18.25-ounce) package white cake mix
1 (8-ounce) carton sour cream
1 (3-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
3 large eggs
1 (12-ounce) can cream cheese frosting

Combine all ingredients, except frosting, in a mixing bowl. Beat at low speed with an electric mixer until moistened. Beat at high speed 3 minutes, stopping to scrape down sides. Spoon batter into 24 paper-lined muffin cups, filling each three-fourths full.

Bake at 350 degrees for 22 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans on a wire rack 5 minutes. Remove cupcakes from pans; cool completely on wire rack. Spread evenly with frosting.

No comments: