Thursday, May 6, 2010

34. Sausage-and-Chicken Cassoulet


From 2005 Southern Living Annual Recipes

When I read this recipe, I loved all of the ingredients, but I was a tad unsure how it would come together, taste-wise. I have to say, I was very pleased.

This is a very hearty dish. I probably should have made it a few months earlier, in fact, because it's a perfect cold-day recipe. It wasn't rich, but it had a definite stick-to-your-ribs quality.

I was a little concerned when I poured the cornbread mixture over the top, as most of it appeared to sink instead of settling in as a crust. However, the final product turned out perfectly.

1 (16-ounce) package smoked sausage, sliced
1 pound uncooked chicken breast strips, chopped
1 (15.8-ounce) can great Northern beans, rinsed and drained
1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes with garlic and onion, drained
1 (14-ounce) can chicken broth
1-1/2 tsp. dried thyme (I omitted)
1 (6-ounce) package buttermilk cornbread mix
2/3 cup water

Cook sausage in a 2-1/4 to 3-quart ovenproof skillet over medium heat 8 minutes or until browned. Remove sausage and drain on paper towels, reserving drippings in skillet.

Cook chicken in hot drippings in skillet over medium-high heat 5 minutes or until brown.

Return sausage to skillet with chicken. Stir in beans and next 3 ingredients. Bring to a boil.

Stir together cornbread mix and water. Pour evenly over hot mixture in skillet.

Bake at 400 degrees for 30 to 35 minutes or until golden. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.

No comments: