Sunday, May 2, 2010

33. Easy Chicken Pie


From 2008 Southern Living Annual Recipes


I have been craving chicken pot pie lately, so I went through the cookbooks and found this recipe. The ultimate comfort food!

I should have noticed that the recipe didn't call for any seasonings...the chicken mixture definitely needed salt and pepper.

On the other hand, the canned soup was elevated with the addition of stock, buttermilk, and wine to take it beyond that "cream-of" flavor. I could smell the wine when I opened the oven door.

I used a bag of mixed vegetables instead of just peas and carrots, which added grean beans, corn, and lima beans to the dish.

Be sure to keep an eye on the crust. When I peeked in about halfway through, I saw the edges were starting to get too brown, so I covered them with foil.

With a little salt and pepper added to my plate, this dish completely satisfied my craving!

1/2 (15-ounce) package refrigerated piecrusts
1 can cream of chicken soup with herbs
3 cups chopped cooked chicken
3 cups frozen peas and carrots
1 cup chicken broth
3/4 cup buttermilk
1/4 cup dry white wine
1-1/2 tablespoons cornstarch

Unroll piecrust on a lightly floured surface; roll into a 14x12 inch rectangle.

Stir together remaining ingredients in a medium bowl. Pour into a lightly greased 11/7 baking dish. Top with piecrust; fold edges under and crimp. Cut slits in top for steam to escape.

Bake at 400 degrees for 45 minutes or until golden and bubbly. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.

No comments: