Thursday, March 11, 2010

18. Israeli Couscous With Roasted Mushrooms


From 2009 Southern Living Annual Recipes

After the gym, I want something light for dinner...and I'm starving, so I want something that comes together quickly. This recipe hit both marks.

Roasting the mushrooms gave them an amazing flavor...they were well-seasoned, earthy, and meaty, and they took a bowl of couscous to the next level.

This would make a great side dish for any meat, but I just had it with a handful of fresh spinach, and it was completely satisfying.

Notes: I used a box of parmesan couscous for extra flavor. Also, it was just a touch too salty for me, so next time, I'll leave out the additional salt at the end, since Worcestershire sauce is added.

1 (4-ounce) package fresh gourmet mushroom blend, coarsely chopped
1 garlic cloved, thinly sliced
1/2 tbsp. olive oil
1/2 tsp. salt, divided
1/4 tsp pepper, divided
1 (6.3-ounce) packages Israeli couscous
1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Toss together mushrooms, garlic, olive oil, 1/4 tsp. salt, and 1/8 tsp. papper in an aluminum foil-lined broiler pan. Spread mushroom mixture in a single layer and bake for 20 minutes.

Meanwhile, cook couscous according to package directions.

Stir in mushrooms, Worcestershire sauce, and remaining salt and pepper.

No comments: