Sunday, November 14, 2010

74. Monster Meatball Sandwiches


From 2008 Southern Living Annual Recipes

These had all the potential to be great...but, somehow, they just weren't. I expected the meatballs to have a sweet, thick coating, but they ended up tasting bland. I wonder how they'd be if they were just cooked in the chutney, without the chicken broth to dilute the flavor.

I couldn't find the particular relish the recipe called for, so I got sweet-n-hot salad peppers and chopped them up. They added all of the flavor to these sandwiches. I ended up putting them both on the bottom and top, so that every bite had crunch.

I loved the presentation for entertaining, so I'll definitely try this recipe again with some adjustments.
32 bite-size frozen meatballs

1 (9-oz.) jar mango chutney
1 cup chicken broth
16 fresh dinner rolls
1 (16-oz.) jar sweet-hot pickle sandwich relish

Stir together first 3 ingredients in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat; reduce heat to low, and simmer, stirring occasionally, 25 to 30 minutes.

Cut rolls vertically through top, cutting to but not through bottom. Place 2 meatballs in each roll. Top with desired amount of relish.

No comments: