Sunday, October 24, 2010

68. Snappy Reuben Rolls


From 2002 Southern Living Annual Recipes

I felt like having snacks for dinner tonight, so I went through my appetizer file and found this recipe.

I love anything wrapped in crescent rolls...sweet, flaky goodness. This had all of the flavor of a Reuben sandwich in a neat, little package. The sauerkraut-Thousand Island mixture had tons of tang.

I was concerned that the cheese in the filling would melt out during baking and make a mess, but these stayed together nicely. Perfect football food!!

1 (8-ounce) package refrigerated crescent rolls
1 (10-ounce) can sauerkraut, drained
2 tablespoons Thousand Island salad dressing
1 teaspoon dry mustard
8 (1/2-ounce) thinly sliced deli corned beef slices
2 Swiss cheese slices, cut into 16 (1/2-inch) strips

Unroll crescent rolls, and separate into 8 triangles. Roll each dough portion into a 7-inch triangle.

Stir together sauerkraut, salad dressing, and mustard. Place 1 corned beef slice across wide side of 1 triangle, folding to fit, if necessary.

Spread 2 tablespoons sauerkraut mixture over corned beef, and top with 2 cheese strips. Roll up, beginning with wide end of triangle. Repeat with remaining triangles, sauerkraut mixture, corned beef, and cheese. Place rolls, point sides down, on an ungreased baking sheet.

Bake rolls at 375° for 15 to 17 minutes or until golden brown. 


1 comment:

Jander said...

So, I was searching for an appetizer for my upcoming family Christmas shindig when I came across this recipe. The rolls look fantastic!

That said, I want you to promise me something... From this day forward, the phrase "tons of tang" should be reserved only for college fraternity blogs. Fair?