Thursday, July 29, 2010

58. Moist Chocolate Cupcakes


From 2008 Southern Living Annual Recipes
I've been watching the new TV show DC Cupcakes, and while I don't have a big sweet tooth, it gave me a huge craving. So, I dug into the SL cookbooks and found this recipe.

The sour cream makes these cupcakes, as promised, incredibly moist. Because it's made with German chocolate cake mix, the chocolate taste was very subtle, and I wished for a little more chocolate flavor. I topped these with cream cheese frosting, but I think a chocolate buttercream would have worked well, too.

I took most of these into work, and they were quickly consumed! One co-worker, over the course of the day, had SEVEN. That's right.

1 (18.25-oz.) package German chocolate cake mix

1 (16-oz.) container sour cream
1/4 cup butter, melted
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Paper baking cups
Vegetable cooking spray


Preheat oven to 350°. Beat first 5 ingredients at low speed with an electric mixer just until dry ingredients are moistened. Increase speed to medium, and beat 1 to 2 minutes or until smooth, stopping to scrape bowl as needed.


Place paper baking cups in muffin pans, and coat with cooking spray; spoon batter into baking cups, filling two-thirds full.


Bake at 350° for 20 to 25 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans on wire racks 10 minutes; remove cupcakes from pans to wire racks, and let cool completely (about 1 hour).

No comments: